Reach for the Stars Program
Reach for the Stars is a volunteer service recognition program approved by the State Master Gardener Board of Directors in February 1999. Participation in the Reach for the Stars Program is an option for each local association, and all are encouraged to participate.
The purpose of the Program is two-fold:
1. To recognize Master Gardeners who have assisted Extension in educating and improving their communities.
2. To encourage Master Gardeners to keep records and report volunteer hours as requested by ACES. Recorded hours are utilized in justifying the resources expended by ACES to educate and train Master Gardeners.
The only hours that will count toward the Reach for the Stars program are those earned while the MG is a member in good standing of AMGA.
Master Gardeners will follow the Volunteer Hours Policies/Guidelines established by the Steering Committee in recording volunteer hours. This program is effective retroactive to the inception of the Master Gardener Program in 1981. Hours earned should comply with the Volunteer Hours Policies. The annual reporting period will be January 1-December 31. Star and badge requirements will be submitted to the AMGA Awards Chair by January 31.
Requirements for earning stars and badges are as follows:
- Bronze Star 100 – 299 hours
- Silver Star 300 – 499 hours
- Gold Star 500 – 999 hours
- Gold Name Badges 1,000 – 1,999 hours
- Platinum Badges 2,000 – 3,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with ruby colored gemstone 4,000 – 5,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with emerald colored gemstone 6,000 – 7,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with diamond colored gemstone 8,000 – 9,999 hours
- New Badge with lifetime membership in AMGA – 10,000 + hours
- Silver Star Pin with amethyst colored gemstone 10,000-11,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with navy blue colored gemstone 12,000-14,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with garnet colored gemstone 15,000-16,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with rainbow colored gemstone 17,000-19,999 hours
- Silver Star Pin with champagne colored gemstone 20,000 plusClick on the category “AMGA Forms” to find Reach for the Stars and Advanced Badge and Star order forms. REACH FOR THE STARS FORMS ACCOMPANIED BY THE ORDER FORM AND A CHECK ARE SUBMITTED TO Billy McDaniel, 311 County Rd 219, Piedmont, AL 36272, [email protected]. BADGES AND GEM STAR AWARDS ORDERS, ACCOMPANIED BY THE ORDER FORM MUST BE SENT TO: AMGA AWARDS CHAIR Lyn Webb, 250 Lakeshore Drive, Ohatchee, AL 36271, [email protected] NO LATER THAN JANUARY 31ST OF THE AWARD YEAR.